Brian J. Sullivan: Artist

More Short Stories

Progress Report #3

Brian J. Sullivan

I had another rough night. Vivid and terrifying dreams of an impending race kept me awake most of the night. Two window air conditioners running at full blast did little to cool my night sweats.

One race I can not afford to lose is the "middle of the night" race to the bathroom. Crutches wobble as I try to speed my way along in the dark. This time I make it – just in time!

To help past the mindless hours lying in bed staring at the ceiling, I've engaged in a new activity: scab picking (details intentionally left out). Its not for everyone, but than again neither is college.

And speaking of education, how smart is my State of Illinois which issued me a handi-capped parking permit? I am unable to drive or use it for 3 months, at which time it expires. Thank god for our benevolent government watching out for my welfare. I'm not sure what I'd do without them. Maybe order one of those $4,000 toilet seats.

As a special bonus to all the readers of Sunshine Magazine, I'd like to offer a little cost guessing game myself: guess the cost of the 2 three inch long titanium screws holding my ankle together. I am not talking about the cost of surgery, x-rays or the hospital stay. No, simply the cost the hospital will charge me for two screws! The person getting closest will receive a beautiful signed Brian J. Sullivan original: A framed x-ray showing the two screws. Now there's a piece you can be proud to hang above your velvet couch! Second runner up will get a signed gicleé print.

And one final note. If I learned anything from this accident, it was to listen to my Mother. She always said "make sure you wear clean underwear in case you go to the hospital". For once (and only once), I'm glad I listened.

 

BACK TO TOP